Sterilization in our dental office
As we begin to reopen our practice and as always, your health and safety is our primary concern. Rest assured we will implement proper controls and precautions to protect you, your family, and our staff. Our team is dedicated to providing you with the highest quality of care in the safest possible environment.
Ensuring your safety
Our staff is trained in procedures recommended by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Our practice takes their recommendations very seriously and incorporates best practices recommended by each organization into daily routines.
We employ the most up-to-date dental sterilization equipment and machines, including dental autoclaves, dental sterilizers, and steam sterilizers. Using pressure, steam, and heat, these machines eliminate bacteria on dental instruments.
In addition, we ensure all surfaces are made safe and clean by:
- Requiring the use of gloves and face masks for staff and clients
- Ensuring disinfectant hand soap is available throughout the office
- Utilizing disposable materials whenever possible
- Sterilizing all equipment before and after each use
- Cleaning countertops and surfaces with disinfectants multiple times per day
Use of disposable materials
Most materials used in our practice are disposable. These items include: gloves, face shields, masks, gowns, gauze, brushes, and floss and are safely discarded after each patient appointment.
Our staff is expertly trained in best practices for using and handling disposable materials and ensure they are stored, used, and disposed of appropriately.
Use of reusable instruments
Instruments that cannot be discarded are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected after each exam and procedure. The following process is in place to ensure proper dental sterilization practices are followed:
- Clean – All instruments are thoroughly cleaned using ultrasonic cleaners, which remove all bacteria, germs, and debris.
- Package – Once clean, instruments are wrapped in medical-grade packaging. They remain sealed in packages until ready for use.
- Sterilization – Once securely packaged, instruments are sterilized using FDA- approved dental autoclave sterilizers.
- Disinfect – After each use, all machines and surfaces in our practice are thoroughly disinfected using EPA-approved surface cleaners.
Our process and protocols follow best practices for dental sterilization and ensure that your main concern when visiting our office is how great your smile will look when you leave.
Training and our commitment to you
Your trust and confidence is very important to us. Our staff undergoes rigorous and regular training in cleaning techniques to ensure that we are providing you with the safest environment possible. Systems and procedures for our practice are updated on an ongoing basis following the guidance of the American Dental Association and the CDC.
Should you have any questions, give us a call or ask during your visit. Our team will provide you with detailed descriptions and more information about the steps we take to protect you and your family from bacteria, viruses, and other infectious diseases.
We look forward to seeing you at your next appointment!